When Apple releases a product, it instantly takes over the world for valid reasons. Almost all Apple products have a reputation for being reliable and smooth despite the hefty price point.
When the Magic Mouse was first released in 2009, it was revolutionary as it is wireless. Then in 2015, Magic Mouse 2 was released, and it is by far the better one out of both.
Keep reading this article to know more about Magic Mouse vs. Magic Mouse 2 and why the second generation is superior.
Specifications of Magic Mouse Vs Magic Mouse 2
|Model||Magic Mouse||Magic Mouse 2|
|Interface Bluetooth Bluetooth||Bluetooth||Bluetooth|
|Hand Orientation||Both Hands||Ambidextrous|
|Battery Run Duration||5 to 6 weeks||2 minutes of charge, 9 hours of run-up time.|
|Width||2.2 inches||2.2 inches|
|Height||0.8 inches||0.9 inches|
|Depth||4.5 inches||4.5 inches|
|Weight||3.7 oz||3.49 oz|
|OS Required||Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later, Mac OS X v10.6.1 or used with Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0||Mac OS X 10.11 or later.|
|Power Source||Power Source Two AA batteries||Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable batteries|
Advantages of Magic Mouse Vs Magic Mouse 2
Even though both the mouses work smoothly, there are certain advantages to using both. In this part, we will elaborate more on the advantages of using Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2.
Magic Mouse Advantages
- There are built-in multitouch gestures, meaning no parts move while using the gadget.
- The mouse features wireless Bluetooth, which is helpful for the user as the wiring is absent, which means less hassle.
- The movement of the mouse is sensitive and does the task accurately without delays.
- Most users have been satisfied with using it as it is smooth and feels good.
- If the battery runs out, you can easily get a battery replacement without having to wait for days or pay more.
Magic Mouse 2 Advantages
- The biggest advantage is the rechargeable battery which means you do not have to worry about the built-in batteries running out of charge.
- Both left and right-handed people can use this device as it does not have a specific hand orientation.
- The device’s surface is multitouch, allowing the user to make simple gestures such as gliding through documents or swiping between different web pages.
- Pairing the gadget with Mac is easy because of the Bluetooth system.
- A lightning-to USB cable comes along the box, which can also be used for other devices.
Disadvantages of Magic Mouse Vs Magic Mouse 2
Even though there are many advantages for both devices, there also exist certain disadvantages for Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2.
Disadvantages of Magic Mouse
- One of the biggest disadvantages is that this gadget does not work with Windows PCs, so you have to own a Mac to pair it.
- The price of this gadget is almost twice that of a normal mouse which does almost the same job.
- The lack of side buttons is a huge downfall for some users.
- Even though the design is very appealing, some users have complained about the mouse being uncomfortable to use for an extended period.
- The usage of the multitouch function has not been widened enough.
Disadvantages of Magic Mouse 2
- While the mouse is charging, you will not be able to use it as the gadget charges from underneath, which moves harder while it charges.
- According to some users, the shallow design of the device does not fill the curve of the hand and becomes uncomfortable for some.
- You can use the mouse with non-Apple devices, but the functions will be limited.
- Many people are not fond of the fluidity and speed of the cursor while it glides through the screen.
- There is only one functioning physical button.
Which Is Better And Why?
The Magic Mouse 2 is undoubtedly better by most means because it offers more features than the Magic Mouse. If you want to pair the gadgets with a non-Apple computer, the Magic Mouse will not work, while the Magic Mouse 2 will work without certain facilities.
The Magic Mouse 2 will also come with built-in software, which makes it easier to use. These can also be paired with an iPad even though the features are initially hidden.
If you judge them by their looks, you might not make the correct decision, as they both look identical until you turn them upside down. Rather it would be ideal to assess them based on their future-proofing abilities.
Moreover, it is a great option to go for the latest version of the gadget so that with each upgrade, your device does not lag. Even though the Magic Mouse 2 costs a bit more than the Magic Mouse, it will be worth the purchase for a long investment.
How Can I Make The Magic Mouse Work With A Non-Apple Computer?
As the Magic Mouses are wireless, they can be connected and operated with other devices without having to install anything. Although, some features will be missing.
How To Replace The Batteries On The Magic Mouse 2?
You have to order a new battery replacement for $40-50. Then pry open the underside of the mouse and replace the battery.
Is Magic Mouse 2 A Must-Have?
Resulting image search for “Magic Mouse” vs. “Magic Mouse 2”
If you need a small, lightweight mouse for travel, the Apple Magic Mouse 2 is a nice option, but there are better choices. It stands apart from the crowd since it does away with traditional buttons in favor of a touch-sensitive interface.
The Magic Mouse from Apple was quite the deal back in the day because of their wireless technology, which was pretty new then. Both Magic Mouse and Magic Mouse 2 do a great job when they are put to the test. While debating between the Magic Mouse vs. Magic Mouse 2, it can be doubly said that the Magic Mouse 2 is better by all means. So if you are planning to purchase either of them, now you know which one to go for.
Hi there! I’m Shukla, a professional writer who loves to teach people things and make them learn new things. I have been writing professionally for the past ten years, and I have learned so much in that time.
I love to help people learn new things through my content. I’m always looking for new ways to make learning accessible, interesting, and fun. If you’d like to learn something new about everything you are interested in, feel free to contact me through the mail!